If you sell your home in the winter, you might feel like the elements are working against you, but we’re here to help you use them to your advantage.
The colder months might not seem like the most popular time to sell a house, but a winter sale comes with many underrated benefits. If you’re trying to sell your home during this time of year, take these special measures to help your listing stand out.
Make Everything Sparkle
Daylight hours are precious during the winter months, and washing your windows will enhance the little light you have. Other must-do chores include:
- Declutter and depersonalize each room
- Vacuum, sweep and mop the floors
- Dust your furniture, blinds, ceiling fan blades, and light fixtures
- Wipe down countertops, walls, and baseboards
- Polish faucets and mirrors
- Open up all the blinds for maximum light
- Spruce up the exterior by mowing the lawn, watering plants, and cleaning up your front porch
Keep Walkways Clear
If you’re going to sell your home in the winter, it’s vital to take seasonal safety precautions. Utah sees plenty of snowy days, so you need to keep all paths around your home salted and shoveled. Additionally, clear off any porches, patios, and decks so that buyers can envision how they might use the space.
Turn Up the Heat
You want to give buyers an incentive to linger, so don’t be afraid to nudge up the thermostat a little. A chilly house isn’t very inviting, and you want to make sure your guests feel comfortable. You can also turn on your fireplace for an extra touch, but don’t leave it unattended for long.
Set the Mood
In the winter, you want to make your rooms appear warm, cozy, and inviting. Here are a few simple touches that help create a pleasant ambiance:
- Toss throw blankets across the arms of your sofa
- Play classical or jazz music softly in the background
- Offer seasonal food and drinks, such as warm cookies, hot chocolate, or apple cider
- Add a subtle fresh scent
- Set the dining room table with an upscale tablescape
- Arrange plush robes, washcloths, towels, soaps, and shampoos in the bathroom to create a spa feel
Add Extra Light
Winter days are short, and the fleeting natural light isn’t as bright. Replacing dull or burned-out bulbs is essential when selling your home in the winter. You should also pull up the blinds, push back the curtains, and turn on every light in your house. For nighttime showings, we recommend setting timers on your outdoor lights.
Don’t Neglect Landscaping
You might not be enjoying your outdoor landscaping as much in the winter, but that doesn’t mean it should be ignored. You can counteract the dreary effect of gray skies and bare trees by considering a few tips:
- Brush off the bushes
- Add lighting to your landscape
- Layer on fresh mulch
- Edge the garden beds
- Remove dead leaves and other vegetation
- Add some seasonal pops of color with a holiday wreath or some evergreen topiaries
Sell Your Home Fast with Joe Homebuyer Utah
There’s no quicker way to sell your home in the winter than with Joe Homebuyer Utah. We buy houses in any condition with no commissions, fees, or obligations.
We serve Salt Lake City, Utah, and the surrounding areas, including Bountiful, Layton, West Jordan, Murray, and more! Regardless of the price or condition, we would love to work with you. Contact us to get your offer today!